Our network

Officials: Cigarette may have sparked fire in Oak Ridge duplex | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Officials: Cigarette may have sparked fire in Oak Ridge duplex
News


Firefighters believe a discarded cigarette sparked a fire that damaged an Oak Ridge duplex.

Officials evacuated the duplex on Hillside Road at 4:30 a.m. Thursday, according a City of Oak Ridge press release. A father and son safely escaped the fire, and firefighters were able to rescue a pet cat during the response.

In 15 minutes, crews quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to adjacent residence. The fire significantly damaged one of the units in the duplex.

A preliminary investigation suggests that a discarded cigarette on the deck of the duplex may have caused the fire, which carried into the house.

No one was hurt in the incident.


News

Oak Ridge - Anderson Businesses