Our network

Woman dies after trying to rescue pets from house fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Woman dies after trying to rescue pets from house fire
News



ID=19328105(
WBIR) A woman who tried to rescue her pets from her burning home has died of her injuries.

The Anderson County Sheriff's Department said Martha Waldrop Babb, 65, died at University of Tennessee Medical Center Wednesday night.

Babb's daughter, Sara Seeber, said, "It's like a dream that you can't wake up from."

Seeber said her mother and a family friend arrived at Babb's home on Ridge Lane in the Marlow Community. They didn't notice the house was on fire until they opened the door. Seeber said that's when the house "exploded" and they then called 911.

A few minutes later, Babb ran inside to try to rescue her cat and two dogs, but her clothes caught on fire and she collapsed. Her friend tried to help her, but couldn't pull Babb all the way out. Two deputies who arrived at the home managed to pull her from the burning house.

Firefighters
were able to rescue the cat and one of the dogs, but Babb's pet Boston Terrier named Pudding died in the fire.

Officials said Babb was conscious after the rescue, but later passed away at the hospital from her injuries.

The Anderson County Sheriff's Department said the fire likely started in the living room and appears to be accidental.

Seeber encourages every pet owner to "put stickers on your windows letting people know you have pets in your house because the firefighters did not know that there were two other pets in the house".

Funeral arrangements for Babb are pending. Instead of flowers, the family is asking donations are made to the Oak Ridge Animal Shelter and / or the Marlow Volunteer Fire Department in Babb's honor.


News

Oak Ridge - Anderson Businesses